Get to know
Bob is a distinguished, proven leader. Bob is willing to make the tough decisions, motivate people, drive tangible results and to be held accountable. He has the ability to adapt to change, gain consensus, be decisive and deliver immediate results. Bob leads with a strong set of core values and integrity.
Connecticut needs a Businessman
DFC Global Corp., London, UK, and Philadelphia, PA | 2014 – 2017
Chief Executive Officer
- Drove a complete restructure of the business, growing profit from $40MM to $145MM in 24 months.
- Introduced a new set of products to better meet customer needs, driving up overall business activity with significant improvements to customer satisfaction scores.
UBS Investment Bank, London, UK | 2011 – 2014
Chief Financial Officer
- Hired to restructure the Investment Bank to meet Basel 3 regulatory requirements and improve the company’s return on capital. Grew net income to $1Bn+, improving the bank’s return on equity from 2.4% to 28.7%.
- Introduced zero based budgeting techniques to reduce operating costs of the Investment Bank by $700 million, 10% of the cost base.
3i Private Equity Group, PLC, London, UK | 2008 – 2011
Chairman and Managing Partner, North America and Asia
- Responsible for a $1.5Bn global portfolio of investments in a variety of sectors. Board member of Asia Capital Reinsurance (3i’s largest investment in Asia), and Quintiles Healthcare (3i’s largest US investment).
General Electric Company, Fairfield, CT | 1994 – 2007
Division Chief Executive Officer
- Promoted multiple times to become a top leader in GE, one of the largest companies in the world with 300,000 employees.
- Elected a Company Officer by the GE Board of Directors.
- Turned around GE Media Finance from a $100 million loss to profitability in 2 years.
Early Career Experience
- Brinks, Inc., Stamford & Darien, CT, Manager Internal Audit, 1992-1994
- Freeman & Mills, Los Angeles, CA, Litigation Consultant, 1989-1990
- Price Waterhouse, Hartford, CT, Senior Auditor, 1984-1989
Oxford University, Saïd Business School
Visiting Professor of Management Practice since 2012
Fellow in Finance, and China Advisory Board Member
2009 – Present
2009 – 2011
2010 – Present
Masters in Business Administration
Lecturer in Leadership & Strategy at Yale, Oxford and Cambridge Universities
Published author on Mergers & Acquisitions
CAN BOB FIX IT?
I was born in Connecticut, raised in Connecticut, and worked in Connecticut. I have over 30 years of business experience and I plan on bringing that insight to Hartford. I’ve worked in politically sensitive environments, built consensus, made the tough decisions and led thousands of people and numerous organizations to successful outcomes – and I can do the same for Connecticut!
Bob was born in New Haven, the grandson of Polish immigrants who came to Connecticut in the late 1800s. Bob’s dad worked for the Southern New England Telephone Company and operated the scoreboard at the Yale Bowl for 40 years where Bob worked as a game usher. Bob's mom returned to work so Bob could attend college without having to rely on financial aid. Bob attended Connecticut public schools, graduated from Fairfield University and put himself through a master’s degree in finance at Cornell University. First generation of his family to attend college. Bob learned that success comes from hard work and seizing opportunity.
Bob is a proven leader – willing to make the tough decisions, motivate people, drive tangible results and be held accountable. As Chief Financial Officer of UBS Investment Bank, Bob managed $500 billion in assets across 35 countries. Through leadership, determination and fiscal discipline, Bob reduced costs at the bank by over $700 million/10%.
Bob was Chief Executive Officer of several, $100 million-plus divisions of General Electric, driving positive results through innovation, introducing strict budgeting processes, updating technology and hiring great people. As Chief Financial Officer of UBS Investment Bank, Bob transformed the business by simplifying processes and introducing new product strategies to grow revenues.
Bob currently resides in Madison with his wife Amy and three daughters.